Monday, March 23, 2015

Question & Answer

Hey Family!!
The week has been great! We have been really working hard to teach as many people as possible!! I am so grateful to be in Ponce and having the opportunity to teach and talk to all these people! 

I know I haven't done this in awhile so I'm going to answer all of Mama's questions!! 

Q- Since your ward is more of a branch, do you and your companion get fed very often by the members? 
A- To be honest, we only have two people in the ward that ever feed us. Every Monday and Sunday we get fed. The Rosa family feeds us every Monday night and we have FHE (Family Home Evening) all together. On Sunday nights, we are at Olga’s house, my favorite member. She feeds us always really good food! The rest of the ward is a little difficult so we don't get fed much.

Q-What you do eat at member's houses? 
A- It is still always rice and beans at the members’ houses. Occasionally, we have other things but there is always rice.

Q-What do you cook for yourself? 
A- My companion and I are always cooking together. We eat a lot of tacos, taco salad, eggs, and tostones (plantains)! 

Q-How much do you receive a month to pay for expenses?
A- $200 every month



Q- Does it cover everything? 
A- Yes! It just depends what we want to eat each week so some months it lasts longer than others. We always buy together to make it last a little longer.

Q-What are prices for fresh fruit and veggies there? Expensive or cheap? 
A- I would say about the same as back home, possibly some things are more expensive. If we are teaching someone, though, usually they always offer fruit from their trees which is usually lots of mangos, bread fruit, avocados, and limes. The same fruit you can find in the stores is really expensive.

Q-How much is a box of cereal for example? 
A- I always buy the really cheap brands that are about $2.50 but the Name brands are all about $4.

Q- So do you and your companion solely walk? Or any other way of transportation? Bike, bus, car?
A- Public buses do not exist. Our mission is a walking mission; we don't have bikes. We have cars but can only use them for district meetings and conferences. So basically, it just sits in our garage like a decoration. 

Q- Both, Dad and I have Puerto Rico on our weather Aps. It always seems to be 81 degrees. Is it super humid and moist? 
A- It totally depends on the day. We have days that are dry as can be and you feel like your skin is going to crack and then we have other days that it feels like you are breathing in water. It all depends on the rain.



Q-How often does it rain?
A- Lately, it has been raining everyday for about an hour then it is just boiling hot after. They say that we are in the rainy season. Ponce is one of the hottest places on the island because the city is so close to the beach. 

Q-Are you taking lots of pictures other than the three you send us?
A- Yes I am always taking pictures.

Q- Do you have room on the memory cards Dad got for you?
A- Ummm... I have about 30 pictures more to take and then it is full.

Q-Did you receive your St. Patty’s care package? 
A- Yes, I did and I absolutely loved it!! So here the only holiday they don't celebrate is St. Patty's day. It was sad! I had to explain to my companion all the craziness that we do for this day. She didn't believe me that Mama’s hair is always green that day of the year till I showed her the photo of Mama’s hair!! ;) 

Q-Can you believe that you are approaching your hump day?
A- No I can't!! I definitely have my days that it feels like I have been in Puerto Rico for forever. Yet, I feel like I just got here, too. I have so much more work to do; I can't believe that I am already to the point where it is half way!! It's crazy.

Q- It’s hard to believe Regan comes home in May and Oliver in June. It feels like it has gone by so fast for them.  Do you write to Oliver, Jake or Regan? Or anyone else?
A- I am writing all of them! I was also writing Aubrey until she finished her mission and still writing Marc! :) It has been great to keep in contact and know how the work is progressing in all of the other parts of the world! It is great be able to share stories and know that we all are working for The Lord to help build His kingdom! How great is the calling of a missionary!

I love the challenge to say three different thank you's in our prayers. I have truly gained a strong testimony of prayer! I know that our Father in Heaven is always listening and wants to hear from us. It is amazing the relationship that I have now with my Father. Before my mission, I was the one to fall on my knees only when I was in troubled times or when I needed guidance. I now hit my knees every day, have a prayer in my heart, and sometimes pray out loud for everything. I know that He is always listening. He wants to hear about our days, smile at the happiness, and hear our sorrows. I am so grateful for those days that are a little bit easier that I can give thanks for all the little blessings that I received that day! I know that on my mission I am not solo, I’m not alone, and this aspect has changed my life forever! I have a knowledge and a love for my Heavenly Father that will never go away!
I love you all so so much and hope you all have a fantastic week! Remember always to hit your knees for everything!!

Con Amor Siempre

Hermana Harris 

No comments:

Post a Comment