Sunday, October 12, 2014

Disciple of Christ





Hey family!!


Well first things first I have few favors to ask mama.


1. I forgot my patriarchal blessing in my journal by my bed... I would really love if you could send me a copy or email me a copy!


2. What is sister Tingey's address, she sent me a letter and I wrote one back but I lost the envelope?


3. Not a favor but sister Logsden's address is: Urb. Las Cumbres III & IV, 559 Washington Calle, San Juan, PR ( I don't know the zip sorry)


4. Has Grandma Murphy recieved a letter from me? In every letter see sends me she says she has no idea if I am getting them.. please tell her am and that I am very grateful for her letters and the dollars that are in it.



Well this week was awesome!! We went on splits! So for sisters they have a companionship called the Sister Trainers they are basically another set of zone leaders just for the sisters. Ours are Hna. Rivera and Hna. Dias. They are so amazing both of them are Latin, sassy, and incredible strong missionaries. They came to us on Tuesday and Hna. Dias went with me and Hna. Rivera went with my companion. I learned so so much from Hermana Dias! She helped answer all of my million questions on the best ways to do this and that. She also was super helpful with my Spanish and could explain to me in simple Spanish what I need to work on and what were my strengths. She just went contacting with me. She taught me that the best way to get someone to listen to your message is simple, Ask for water! Hahah it really worked. We would ask if they would do us a favor and fill our water. Everyone in Puerto Rico for the most part is very kind and will fill your water bottle. After that we sneak in our message. It is amazing how much more receptive someone is. I can't really explain it but it makes the difference to not just jump to: somos missionarios de la Iglesia de Jesucristo de los Santos de los Ultimos Dias. One thing that I really have learned these past weeks is people really like talking about themselves. Hahaha If you start a conversation just asking questions one way people will be obligated and willing to tell you lots about themselves before they even care to hear anything about you.


Okay so this week I have really noticed that I have a lot of work to become more like Christ. It was an eye-opener reading in "Preach My Gospel" about patience, charity, and love. It is sad to think about how I have been acting around my companion. I really haven't been showing her the love that she deserves. She has been trying to help me in every way and I was just being stubborn and unwilling. It was a little stab in the heart reading about how Christ loved everyone and he died and suffered for me. And as a example and disciple of Christ I was not putting forth the effort. I have been spending this week trying to make the extra effort each day to strengthen my relationship with my companion and find little things each day to serve her. I know that with how different we really are and the only way to be able to get along is if we both forget ourselves and go about doing the Lord's work.


It has been a hard week thinking that the girl I thought I was, isn't the one I am being right now. I thought I normally got along with everyone, I was the one who could find little things that amaze and made each person special. I love everyone for their quirks. I have not been that person with my companion. That is my biggest goal of this companionship is to have more charity, love and patient like my elder brother, Jesus Christ.



This Friday we had a incredible opportunity. We had an appointment to teach Enid our English investiagator. Sister Watkins had an incredible idea! We invited Sister Boucher, the mission president's wife, to go with us. She doesn't get this opportunity because she does not speak Spanish. It was amazing to share about the Book of Mormon and feel the spirit. I love hearing Sister Boucher bear her testimony on when she took the promise in Moroni 10 and found out for herself that the book is the word of God. I can't wait till next Friday to get the chance to meet with Enid and Sister Boucher again!!



Saturday I met the coolest lady ever! Her name is Sylvia she has been a member for the last 30 years. She is this little black lady that has gone on 3 missions! She served in Ecuador and Puerto Rico when she was in her 50s and 60s! She didn't just work in the office but she was a normal missionaries knocking doors and teaching lessons. On Satuday she took us contacting to less-active members houses. She was so bold and inspiring!! She has an incredible strong testimony and wants everyone to have the same! I want to be a missionary just like her!


Okay okay I know you all have been waiting for this, Sunday. Well this Sunday was a huge day for us. First things first, Saturday night at 9:45 the YWs president calls us and asks us to teach because she can't make it to church the next day. So to add a little stress we both have to teach in Spanish with only a couple of hours notice. To top the nerves and stress, we already had been asked to talk on Sunday. Plus, because no one plays the piano in our ward, Sister Watkins played the piano and I had to conduct music in Sacrament. (Hna. Watkins was very very nervous because she hasn't played in years. Earlier in the week we brought home one of the keyboards from the church so she could practice, she did amazing!


I was so so nervous for my talk but I think it went pretty well. I talked on how the Book of Mormon is such a great blessing and strength in our lives so why don't we share it with everyone. I was glad that I got the opportunity to speak. Practice always makes it a little easier for the next time. But what really made this Sunday amazing is that the elders in our ward had a baptism!! It was a part member family, the mom was not a member. It was so amazing to see how happy she was coming out of the water all clean and pure. It was incredible to see the joy that the gospel brought to her and her husband and son. I can't wait to help someone take those sacred convents for themselves!


To make Sunday even better, we went back to a lady's house that we had contacted earlier in the week, Lydia, and she welcomed us in. We were able to share with her the message of the restoration. It was muy chevre (Spanish cool/awesome). When we started to talk about how Joseph Smith read in John 5:1 about asking God, she shared her testimony on prayer. She was brought to tears telling us about how she knows that her father in heaven answers prayers and is listening. It was incredible the way the spirit touched her heart and ours! I can't wait to see if she is going to progress. The best part is she has a sister that is a member!! Part-member families are the easiest to teach because the investigator has a support system in the gospel and someone to ask questions too.


Every P-day Sister Logsden is a miracle worker. She comes and picks us up every Monday and takes us to the grocery store, the post office, library to write letters and feeds us lunch. She is so so incredible and wants to help us out in everything we do! On Sunday she made calendars for us and the elders for meals and passed it around the ward.She is our mom away from home! She is always making sure that we have food and will randomly text us and tell us to come over and grab some food to bring home or stops by and drops off food. I am incredibly grateful for her and the love that she has shown to us each week!



My testimony has increased so incredibly much in these past two months. I can testify that the more you share the testimony the more it grows. I am so thankful for the chance to be born into the truth and be a member of Christ's Church!


I hope you all have a fantastic week


Con amor siempre


Hermana Harris


No comments:

Post a Comment