Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Here in Puerto Rico

Hola familia!!

Hey, I first want to say thank you so much for eating a cake in my honor.

I love all the photos of your weekend adventures in Rexsburg! I am so grateful for you all and love to see the pictures of you guys each week!!

Here in Puerto Rico it has definitely been a huge change from the CCM. A great change! My companions name is Hermana Watkins. She is from San Francisco. She is 22 and a senior a BYU. Well let’s just say it has been a very hard week. Switching from companions that I grew to love dearly, and right off the bat were friends, to now has been hard. Let's just say Hermana Watkins is just different. So it is going to be a rough couple of weeks but I know that the Lord put us together for a reason.

We are in Guyanbo. Which is right next to San Juan. We actually live in San Juan. Our apartment is one of the best available. We have a swamp cooler, two fans, washer and dryer. It was kind of dirty when we first arrived but that was because the elders had just moved out of it the day before. We are in the AP's old apartment.  They moved somewhere else. We actually share this area with them. We are two new-bees in this area. They call it whitewashing. Also they have never had two sets in this area before. 

It is amazing how many people here speak English. My companion was on one of the islands for 6 months. Sisters have all been taken off the islands now for safety, only senior couples and a few elders.  So my companion has only been speaking Spanish here for the last 6 weeks. We will being learning together. It will be hard but the Lord will be there to help us.

With opening a new area, we didn't a ward list until yesterday, so we have just been tracking and contacting for the past week. My feet are tired. It is incredibly hot here, but it has been fun to meet a lot of different people. We sadly have only come out with one investigator, but I know there is other people here for us to find and bring the gospel to.

This Saturday and Sunday was stake conference. It was awesome because I had the opportunity to meet all the other missionaries in my zone. I also got to see three missionaries that I was in the CCM with!! There is one English ward in Puerto Rico so there was a guy translating Stake Conference into English on Saturday. I choose to try to catch as much as I could and just listen in Spanish on Sunday. 

I owe my birthday being amazing to family members and a LDS family we have become close with. Thank you all so, so much for the packages!! Aunt Jill's, Grandma Harris', and you guys!! I loved opening them all on my birthday! It made me feel loved and thankful for the amazing family I have!
 I would also like to thank Lynn & Bill, Diane Tingey, Aunt Molly and Grandma Murphy for the letters! It is always amazing to see how everyone is doing!

So the member family we have gotten close to is the Logsdens. The mom and dad are from different parts of Brazil and met at BYU. They are completing dental school here in Puerto Rico. They and their three adorable children are all fluent in three languages!! They are such an inspiration to us. They have already feed us twice, once Thursday and again on Sunday they fed us and four elders! To top off their awesomeness, Sister Logsden, drove us to Costco today so we could go grocery shopping! It is great to feel the love from the members when success in tracting has been so hard.

So our plan this week is to meet all the members active and inactive. We hope that through them they will be able to help us bring others and their friends to Christ’s gospel.

It is amazing the feeling of being a real missionary. It definitely is hard, but I know that every second is worth it. I have been on my knees so much talking to my Heavenly Father. It has been an incredible testimony builder to be able to feel his love for each and every person on this earth!! I know that this is the true church on the earth and that Heavenly Father wants each of his children to return to him. 

I love you all and hope you have a fantastic week! Don't forget to hit your knees and pray to your Heavenly Father. He wants to hear from you!

con amor siempre

Hermana Harris

1 comment:

  1. Amazing letter from our amazing Hermana Harris! She's has such a great attitude! I know Heavenly Father will bless her!

    ReplyDelete