Monday, December 14, 2015

Goals & Talents

Hey family!!


We had a couple of incredible moments this week! Not to say the others weren't great too but these were just better!


First, we had interviews with our Mission President! He is the most amazing man on this island. He is so guided by the Spirit that it is unbelievable! He told us exactly what we needed to hear to not only make it though the week but to finish out the month. He challenged me to finish my mission with a baptism and a reactivation. I sincerely accepted and we hit the streets to accomplish the goal! One of the most amazing things is that we had a reactivation already this Sunday! Micdalia came to church for the third week in a row! Part of his reactivation included her forming/helping us with a musical number for sacrament. She is remarkably, musically talented. It was so amazing to see her face so joyous as we played and sang “Silent Night” Sunday. A shocker for everyone, in this musical number I played an instrument! It was kind of my fault getting stuck doing this because I didn't understand exactly what she was saying to me at one point. She had asked me if I knew how to play el flota dulce or sweet flute. I thought that maybe that meant the piccolo. Yeah no… the sweet flute is a fancy name for the recorder! So I got to play “Silent Night” on the recorder Sunday. In doing so, I discovered a talent I haven't practice since like third grade when we learned the recorder in music class. Hahaha! But I'm a missionary and we put are whole heart and soul into our less-actives! So I played that recorder and I played it proudly!


Next incredible thing is our investigator named Madeline. On Saturday, I just had a feeling that we needed to visit her. I honestly love her to death but she is to the point that if she doesn't start progressing she will just become a forever investigator that knows everything but is not a member. Anyways, we went to her house Saturday and talked to her. It was seriously the most powerful lesson I have ever had with her. We shared the message from 1 Nephi 11 about Christ and the birth of Christ. It was amazing! We testified of Christ and everything that He does for us. She agreed with us and told us about her faith in Him. We ended the lesson by inviting her to be baptized. She agreed then as we went to say the closing prayer, I asked her if there was anything in specific that she would like us to pray for. This was when she turned to us and her face dropped. She began to explain that she had been talking this morning to her Heavenly Father about all thing hard things that she has been going through. She felt that prayer didn't seem to be making any difference. Then my companion turns to Madeline and asks, “why do you think that we are here? Sister Harris told me today that she just had a feeling we needed to visit you. Madeline, Heavenly Father answered your prayer. He sent us here to help you.” We go on to tell her that we are here to truly get her out of her hard times. That we truly had a message that would change her life and help her. It was so amazing and the Spirit so strong. We left her with the solid knowledge that her Heavenly Father really loves her and is watching over her.


It truly is incredible how just in the little things can be a prompting of the Spirit. It’s honestly something I love about being a missionary because those little thoughts and promptings aren't for me but others. They aren't for my benefit at all. It is someone else's life that Heavenly Father is trying to help. I fully agreed this week with a quote by President Boyd K. Packer that says, “It is important for a … missionary … to know that the Holy Ghost can work through the Light of Christ. A teacher of gospel truths is not planting something foreign or even new into an adult or a child. Rather, the missionary or teacher is making contact with the Spirit of Christ already there. The gospel will have a familiar ‘ring’ to them.”
Everyday we are working harder to reach that Spirit of Christ in everyone. I know that it is true, because time and time again my mission has shown me the truth of this statement. I love you all so much and can't wait to see you guys for Christmas!!


Ponderize scripture is Proverbs 4:2 “Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life. I am going to hit this last transfer with all I got!

Con Amor Siempre

Hermana Harris

No comments:

Post a Comment