Monday, April 13, 2015

Sister Pardo!!!

Hey Family!!


With all of the pressing questions, I might as well just start out with all the good stuff. First, my companion is Latin! She is from Columbia!! Sister Pardo is 23 years old, green and as greenie as it can get. She is amazing already and this is her third week in the mission; first week in Puerto Rico. She comes from a family of five, her dad works for the church and she is fluent in Spanish and English!! We get along so great! I am so excited to see what the next 11 weeks of training brings!


We are set to be companions for 3 months, so I am in Ponce until the middle of June. I have a chance to stay from there or get transferred. So one thing a little strange is that in the mission we call trainers Mamas and trainees Babies. It just makes it so much funnier that I am about to hit my 9 months on the mission when I received my baby. 


With training, it is a 12 week program of District videos (which is videos of missionaries for examples), reading the scriptures, and role play. My companion is game for all! I really feel like that she came pretrained and that she is teaching me, not the other way around!! It has been amazing this week helping her get the ropes. Even just the basics like our daily schedule, our area, and life as a real missionary. It is a little strange to be in the position of the teacher. I'm not gonna lie, its tough. The first day, I really had to evaluate myself as a missionary. I had to go through all the qualities I needed. I needed to evaluate all the things that I do each day so that I can get better at them. I needed to reassess anything that has caused a problem before and then think about how I can prevent it in the future. It was actually a great experience, I really feel like this gives me the opportunity to make me the best missionary yet! 

My companion is hilarious! We are always making jokes and having a blast in the streets. She is incredible in lessons, and she has so much gospel knowledge that I sometimes just like listening to her teach. That is one thing that I was very blessed to have a companion that speaks the language. I am grateful to be able to focus on what is best in the lessons and more of the structure then the language. It is definitely different than my training. 


My Spanish is coming along great! I understand basically everyone, the only people I don't are the people speaking Puertoricano. So that is the one thing where the language of the mission isn’t Spanish. The islands national language is basically Spanglish. Then there are Puertoricano words, and in Ponce, there is another set of words. I never realized how accustomed I had become to it until I needed to translate Spanish here to real Spanish for my companion!! Hahahaha! It was a good feeling! I always am working each day to learn the grammar and more words but that is a never-ending process. In the streets, I feel comfortable enough to talk to everyone! :) 


Well, I am so excited to have the chance to spend 3 more months here in Ponce. I feel like the investigators we have right now, really have the potential to make it to the waters of baptism and I am so excited at the chance to help them get there!! 

I love you all so, so much and pray for each of you daily!! I hope you all are praying and reading the scriptures because I know that is where we will receive peace, guidance, and a great knowledge of our Heavenly Father’s amazing plan for us!

Con Amor Siempre

Hermana Harris

No comments:

Post a Comment