Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Week 2 - Sort of.

Hey family!!

To answer some of mamas questions:

My Spanish is going along great. I know can understand the majority of what people say until they start speaking “Dominican Republican.” Dominican Republican is where they start slicing the words in half! Literally como estas turns into mo tas. I'm so glad I'm not serving here haha, shh. I do know the difference from Dominican Republican and Puerto Rican is the thick accent and a lot less slicing. My major problem at the moment is talking. I really struggle being able to pronounce the words right. Prayers in Spanish are definitely getting easier with the amount of vocab I memorize each day. More words to say and a lot of practice helps. I have noticed that even my personal prayers have started to become a little bit mixed between Spanish and English. I'm glad Heavenly Father is all knowing and can speak every language otherwise he would be super confused. :) 

This week I have definitely started feeling better! I have stopped eating the bread, and I ask for very small portions at lunch. The first time I asked for less the guy serving looks at me and goes, “You on a diieet.” Sadly I asked him again and the elder next to me says, “Hermana, he is asking if you are on a diet.” I just laughed.  I said, no way, I just am not a fan of mountains of rice. He now smiles and says chino every time I go to get food. I’m assuming that means small portions, Jaren, am I right?

They have the ac pumping so hard in the CCM. It is so great. Most of the time I am either wearing a camisole or a jacket. So, So, glad I packed them! My district is on a constant war of the temperature in the room. Hermana Bauyon is always cold and the guys are always hot so the temperature in the room never stays the same. The weird thing though is that the thermostat is in Celsius. I have no idea what the actually temperature is in here. Should paid more attention in science class, ha ha,  oh well.

As of this week: News flash, it was amazing!

On Monday we said goodbye to all of the Latinos and older missionaries. It was a sad and happy time. We are sad to see them go, but so happy to see that we are going to be at that level soon, ready to serve in country. It was hard to say goodbye to Hermana Cuevas.  She has become a great friend, but I know she will do amazing on her mission. At the same time they were leaving we were getting new missionaries. Also we all have upgraded to nicer classrooms. In my companionships case we have a new room all together. We used to be on the 3rd floor, have class on the 2nd and do all our computer work on the 4th. Now we live, work, and study all on the 4th floor.  It is so nice! Our room has 4 bunk beds, 3 sinks, and 2 showers!! For the first day and a half it was just the three of us. Now we have three new sister missionaries, Hermanas Curtis, Brufass, and Johnson (none of them are Utah Mormons!! lol) I left each of them little notes and some goodies on their beds as a surprise when they came. They got in at midnight and 3 am!! Okay, honestly I just didn't want to be up and hand it to them so I wrote notes! I did however wake up when the sister that arrived at 3 am came in and I helped her with her baggage! :)

Okay the best two things of this week were the temple and shopping!! Every single p-day we spend the morning in the temple! It was so amazing to be able to understand so much more this time being the third time going through! I love it. I also have had the opportunity to do sealings twice now. It is so amazing to feel the spirit in the room where you know a family has been sealed for time and all eternity!

Second best thing is on Tuesday we had the opportunity to leave the CCM for one hour!! We got to go shopping at what is basically a mini Wal-Mart. It is so weird to think in pesos not dollars. 43 pesos equals 1 dollar, so it seems like everything is super expensive!! Ha ha.  The best thing though is that in the mist of all this foreign food there is OREOS! To be honest it reminded me of home and made feel good! Also, so you know, gummy worms which Aubs and I love so much, come in huge bags and there is different troll's candy for super uper cheap!!

Best spiritual experiences this week. First was when we were teaching one of our investigators and I didn't use anything, no notes, no dictionary. I just was able to use the language I have learned to preach about the restored gospel! Second, we have a devotional every Tuesday. We listened to a devotional given at the Provo MTC. Elder Bednar gave a talk about when your natural man wants to turn into yourself you need to turn it out to others like the Savior did. It was incredible.

I am loving it here!!  

I'm so glad to hear you all are doing so good! I totally loved all the pictures you guys sent! Saydi is the cutest scarecrow I have ever seen! Glad to hear so many girls went to camp! I'm amazed all of the girls came! I'm so happy for Jaren and Hannah!! I totally want to see pictures of this grad proposal!!!!! I hope Jaren had a great birthday! I’m so proud of Aubrei. Moving to North Point was a hard decision but I know she is making the right choice! Love you and wish I could hear from all of you.

Hey well I love you guys and miss you so much!
Love always!

Hermana Harris

P.S. Sorry mom, my spelling and grammar are bad from switching back and forth from English to Spanish. It is hard!
Also letters take forever to get here so if anyone is sending me real letters it might be better to just send them to the Puerto Rico mission home.
I will need you to send me an outfit mama. I don't have any gray or pink. Also another side note, I forgot to notify 1st liberty that I would be in Puerto Rico.  Will my card still work there? And I forgot my patriarchal blessing.  Is there anyway you guys could send it to me or another way for me to get it?


Love you!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment